5 Minutes of Fabulous: The Art of an Extravaganza Eleganza
At the beginning of the year, I did a deep dive review into 2016 and got clear on what I wanted more of in 2017. I was craving more connection, new things/adventures, fun, and beauty.
I want to create more gorgeous moments not just for myself but also for my friends and family. I want to push myself outside of my comfort zone to connect more and have fun! And what that looks like for me is entertaining.
Entertaining for the sake of connection and beauty. Celebrating life and making the mundane feel fabulous. And my favorite reason to gather the people I love is for a viewing party.
First off, I love entertainment. This year I’ve hosted a Golden Globes and Oscars viewing party. And about 2 weeks ago, I hosted a viewing party of the newest season of RuPaul’s Drag Race on VH1.
If you would have asked me last year to host a dinner party on a weeknight (the party was on a Friday night) I would have laughed in your face. The thought of hosting a gathering after a long-ass week at work used to feel really daunting and exhausting. And I know that you probably work just as much or more than I do. But I promise you, that you can host and create beautiful moments in a way that feels easy and fun.
Here are the 5 things I do to make entertaining fun, fabulous, and seamless:
1. What Excites You?: I am Literally OBSESSED with RuPaul’s Drag Race. Why, you may be wondering? It is so much fun and the drag queens are all about self-love, confidence, and elegance. The show brings me so much joy and I was so excited to host a group of my favorite people over for us to all watch together. Whether you are excited about hosting a movie night, a viewing party of your favorite award show or tv show, or for a holiday, make sure that you are legitimately excited about the reason that you are hosting.
2. Ain't too proud to cater: For our RuPaul’s Extravanganza Eleganza the majority of the work was making a phone call to my local poke shop. Because like you, I have a packed schedule, I decided to cater in a "make your poke bowl" bar. It made dinner fun and interactive while freeing me up to actually enjoy my guests and the drag queens, of course. Easy set-up and even easier clean-up.
3. Easy Prep: In order to make my life easier, I prepped the night before the party by chopping veggies for a crudité dish. Also, during my trip to the grocery store, I picked up lots of rose wine, pre-made dips like hummus, spinach, and garlic dip as well as ingredients for desserts (i.e. fresh berries, cookies, whipped cream,and tea).
4. Easy décor: For this gathering, I bought hot pink roses from Trader Joe’s. In 5 minutes I made a couple of menu cards showcasing what was for dinner along with pictures of my favorite drag queens.
5. Let it all go: To quote one of my favorite drag queens, Jinkx Monsoon, "it’s all water off a duck’s back". Have fun, stay out of the kitchen, and enjoy time with your guests. Be in the moment and savor all the beauty and connection.
Extra bonus: Because I love everything about drag queens I want to share some of my favorite diva tunes and drag queen movies for your entertainment!
You Betta Werk!
Favorite Drag Movies:
So what do you think? Are you craving more connection, fun, and beauty in your life? Have you always wanted to host friends over for a fun dinner party but thought that you can't pull it together? What are some ways that you can gather your favorite people? Are you craving more in your social life?
Share with me in the comments below.